All Reader Reviews of...
5 W. 21st St., New York, NY, 10010
nr. Fifth Ave.
Say No Go
By Alexisdiner on 1/2/2009
A tattered worn down railroad style restaurant. Envision an abandoned food court in a mall. Soiled tablecloths and stains on menus. I was going to ask a server to change the cloth but really there is not much attentiveness. The place seems so casual that borders on not caring. We finished our Tavern on the Green prices for the first round of drinks and got up to leave. Personally a general rule of thumb is if you are sitting in an establishment that does not care to change the red stains on table cloths how could they care about the food?
By lynafood on 12/29/2008
Terrible service coupled with the worst food in area. I was going to go on and on about how over priced this place is and what a terrible value... But the doors are about to close so C'est la Vie.
Suitable for overpriced (albeit yummy) oysters only
By Nicolai on 10/18/2008
The oysters at Shaffer's are delicious, but they're all $3 a pop (be they Atlantic or Pacific), and the other items we chose off of the menu (fish and chips and fried calmari) were really sub-par. When I order fish and chips, I expect a large, whole fried fish, not fish sticks. And they were served in a small basket with approximately eight undercooked french fries. For $18. The ambiance was that of a sports bar and the waitstaff was neglectful. Take your money and oyster appetite to Grand Central Oyster Bar--they do it right.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Restaurateur Jailed for Serving Cheap Curry That Killed a Customer
- There’s Now a Restaurant on a Floating Barge in Greenpoint
- New York Times Demands Sheeple Wake Up and Quit Worshipping Breakfast
- Bourdain and Obama Chilled Over Noodles and Beer in Vietnam
- Beyond Meat Debuts Its First ‘Fresh’ Veggie Burger at Whole Foods