All Reader Reviews of...
403 W. 13th St., New York, NY, 10014
at Ninth Ave.
Nice Restaurant Bad Attitude
By Rufus on 4/23/2004
This is a beautiful room, serving some very nice food, with pleasant and helpful service - provided you eat at odd hours. If you are happy with eating dinner at tea-time, or after 10 pm, then this place is for you. The attitude of the reservations manager is digraceful. He insists that only friends of Jean-George may have reservations at conventional dinner times, regardless of how far in advance one tries to book. This reservations policy leaves a bad taste, no matter how good the food or charming the space. Don't play up to them. Let Jean-George rely on his friends for success!
Highly Spiced, Lacking Flavor
By carlito169 on 4/13/2004
While the decor is certainly something to behold, the food is somewhat less inspiring. The restaurant is Disney like, transporting you to a place far, far away. The food is good, certainly fitting of the decor, but not worthy of an 'excellent.' It's a terrific place to see and be seen, appearing to be better suited as a night-spot than a restaurant. If you're in search of an 'authentic' experience you'll do just as well near the intersection of Mott and Canal.
By Ali on 4/12/2004
Okay the room is great, okay the food is very good - not 3 stars - the service is over the top and if you have a deep need to be at NY's newest hot spot - by all means go. You may be a nobody but there's a very good chance you'll see a somebody - Big deal.
By emily1 on 3/28/2004
The cocktails at the Spice Market are very yummy, the Durian ice cream was a little scary but fun to try. Overall is was a good experience, although the service was pretty slow and a bit disorganized.
By Btaylor70 on 3/25/2004
Spice market is the place to go for a wonderful taste of Asian cusine. The staff offer helpful tips on the meals. The atmosphere is extremely friendly with chat amongst the tables. The Samosa's are by far the best in the West! For a change try the skate for a mouth watering meal. The wine list is pretty exstensive and offers lots of choice. This resturaunt is a MUST try!!!!
By wierzbao on 3/4/2004
Space is beautiful; location is hype. That's it for the good things. The food is very very disappointing: lobster roll where the carrot was more prevalent than the rest; heavy tasteless duck curry; disgusting cod... Food may be better at Rubby Foo.... Service was ok, except that they clearly take much more care of your neighbors who may have membership cards to JG restaurants... Will not come back (anyway you can't make reservation....)
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- 12 Session Beers That Are Perfect for Summer Guzzling
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument