All Reader Reviews of...
402 E. 78th St., New York, NY, 10021
nr. First Ave.
Not for the timid!
By ScorpioEL on 2/26/2004
Sushi of Gari epitomizes the idea that sushi is a form of [food] art. The chef’s choice – the thing to get, are pieces of sushi (usually 8-10 pieces) and a roll that the chef creates for you, depending on how much specify you want to spend ($50 minimum/person and up). Although the chef’s choice is pricey, it’s more of an experience than just a good sushi meal because each piece is carefully created as a tasting experience. It’s definitely recommended to make a reservation on the weekends, since it’s difficult walk-in and get a table. Although the wait staff is not personable, the service is more efficient-like. If you don’t want to spend $50/more for the chief’s choice, I would recommend getting a bunch of rolls (i.e. yellowtail & scallion, spicy shrimp tempura, fried oyster roll) because they have the best rolls in NY.
Best sushi in NYC
By zeecee on 10/21/2003
If it were cheaper, I'd go every night. The Omikase special, which is the thing to order here, is about $70 or $75, and it's sensational. They'll bring you sushi, each piece garnished and sauced individually. You'll swoon. The place could be roomier and more pleasant, but the sushi is top drawer. I can't rave enough.
Great sushi, but too cramped.
By truly_sweet on 2/28/2003
Gari is a master of the art of sushi. Ask for Omekase (chef's choice) and you will not be disappointed. Fresh fish and nicely sized pieces. The only complaint: the space is FAR too small. Very cramped, noisy and uncomfortable. Plus the clientele is your typical U.E. Side brat - so the place is jam-packed with SNOBS!
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- 12 Session Beers That Are Perfect for Summer Guzzling
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument