All Reader Reviews of...
42 E. 58th St., New York, NY, 10022
nr. Madison Ave.
Expensive and just for unexperienced teenagers
By avnegra on 10/10/2007
Awful, we had a reservation but still we waited 30 minutes. As someone said it looks like a nightclub that happens to serve food. And the food is really mediocre. Its the place where a bunch of teenagers could play "how to be adult and spend my money trying to look like one". Really pathetic experience. The famous duck for two, wich i order after reading the NYMag recommendation, it is original, but not so special. Not a good value for money rlation.
high expectations, poor performance
By avisasha on 8/9/2010
First review I have ever written about anything, and only doing it now because I feel compelled to inform. Went here for a special anniversary. While the decor, vibe and the cocktails were exceptional, the food and the service were disappointing to say the least. From water glasses that sat empty for 10+ minutes to practically begging a waiter that wasn't ours for a drink menu, there is great room for improvement. The worst was the food. We ordered the Peking duck for two, which is a platter of sliced cucumbers, scallions, some sauce, some tortilla wraps, and a fairly pleasant looking duck which was drier than a Mojave desert bathroom. If that's not a shame at 34 bucks per person, the worst part is that this duck had bones! A dish that you expected to wrap with veggies and sauce, how can you have bones in the meat? after wrapping it all together, I took a big bite and chipped my tooth! A complete failure of a dish, which is disappointing at a restaurant of this caliber. Overall, save your money and your teeth. If you want Asian food and something trendy, go to any given Thai food place in Tribeca.
The Emporer has new clothes
By JohnSrand on 1/8/2006
The epitome of New York pretense. The emporer has new clothes and he wears them at Tao.
a self-obsessed scene
By mawkowe on 12/20/2006
Tao took my reservation for 6:45pm on a Monday night. We waited for more than an hour and finally decided to leave.
Still waiting for a table.......
By dmseid22 on 12/7/2006
When making my reservation for 7 pm on a monday evening, I understood that there may be a short wait--try over 1 hour. When going to dinner at Tao, do not go hungry--you will be sure to wait a LONG time!!
"Burger Kings" is better
By Aram on 12/22/2004
First they want you Credit Card to make a resrv over the phone, then i was waiting for 20 min in side, then why do i need resv?, then a freaking waiter pass by me 4 time and every time he paased me his ass was on my shoulders, and when we got food, you have to see those portions cat will ask for more, very loud music, hell no I will go back there, Cuba de Asia here I comeeeeeeeeeee!
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Founder of Acclaimed Whiskey Brand WhistlePig Ousted Over Fraud Accusations
- Olive Garden Stakes Its Future on ‘Spaghetti Pie’
- Pravda, Another Formerly Trendy Soho Relic, Will Close Next Month
- Scientists May Have Discovered a Way to Keep Bananas Fresh at Least Twice As Long
- New York Accuses Domino’s of Helping Franchisees Steal Workers’ Wages