All Reader Reviews of...
24 E. 81st St., New York, NY, 10028
nr. Madison Ave.
Not worth a visit
By SimoneSerpa on 5/31/2012
Very noisy. I like lively but the noise at Crown is beyond that. Food mediocre. I had White Asparagus Salad as starter - nothing special, my husband had the Grilled Spanish Octopus - it was a bit over cooked and burnt. We both had the Day New York Strip as main and we both agreed that we had better steaks in other restaurants. Service okey, again nothing special. We had no problem spending money on this evening but Crown is very pricey for what you get. My advice: choose another restaurant. We both left feeling a bit sad for choosing to have our cool dinner in NY there. Simone
By judevolpe on 1/30/2012
It was bad enough that our friends had nine o'clock reservations. We waited and hardly ate all day looking forward to what we thought would be an outstanding evening. However, we arrived at 8:55 and were not seated until 10:00! Although the food was an 8/10, the place was extrememly loud and not nearly as beautiful or charming as expected. We will definitely not go back or recommend this kind of evening to anybody. Not worth it with so many excellent restaurants in NY!!!
Ugh so tired of getting dragged here since we live in the neighborhood...
By caseythechicken on 12/23/2011
The location is awesome, the wines are really good, the bar and service are sub-mediocre, the management I have dealt with are zeros and (in my opinion) the kitchen just doesn't have the taste, so they take great ingredients and underperform. Epic fail? Maybe a little too drastic, but I certainly wouldn't recommend this place. I am now off the hook, had a really ugly experience leaving when a busboy and busboy captain aggressively confronted us when they missed the plot and thought the bill wasn't paid - at any of the restaurants I worked, this behavior would have resulted in immediate dismissal. The upside is that I will never again have to go to the crown. Thank goodness. To add context, I'm just a guy with a background in fine dining and management, so I can't speak to the 'trendy' aspect but to say I try to avoid unless the experience is fun and awesome. I can say, having read this review, the restaurant is mentioned alongside the Waverly Inn which is the gold standard for awesome everything (in my opinion) and the Lion which I think is OK, but nothing special. Another comparable might be Minetta Tavern which is also in the awesome category. (again, in my humble opinion). If you are in the area, try the Carlyle or the Mark hotel restaurants - both consistently outperform the Crown, except perhaps for the glitz factor ... which I think most adults can do without... your mileage may vary. Peace!
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument
- IHOP Staffers Turned Their Entire Restaurant Into an All-out Brawl