All Reader Reviews of...
434 Amsterdam Ave., New York, NY, 10024
at 81st St.
"The" killer UWS wine bar
By junkfoodie on 8/24/2010
This place straddles the line between wine bar and restaurant, but somehow manages to get it right whichever way you lean. I haven't seen a wines by the glass list this comprehensive in a very long time. Love that there are many organic wine selections. As good as their list is, it is possible that their food even outshines the wine. We sampled about 5 different plates, all generous portions sizes and were very pleasantly surprised with the flavors. I can't recall having a better pork chop ever, as well as a very interesting dish with squid ink and cuttlefish. It had a very down-to-earth feel and the waitress was helpful navigating the wine list for us. We will return for sure even though we live on the East Side.
Another miss on the UWS
By harnser on 10/23/2011
We were excited but the food let it down. 2 of the dishes heavily over salted, and the rest just so so including a very poor choice dip with the oysters. Even half full it got very noisy despite their attempt to control the sound on the ceiling. Wine was pleasant for the choice but doesn't do enough to make us want to come back.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu