- READER REVIEWS
All Reader Reviews of...
342 E. 6th St., New York, NY, 10003
nr. First Ave.
Nothing to write home about and definitely not a cheap eat
By canadian_foodie on 8/18/2012
After reading nymag's so many positive reviews on this restaurant and finally seeing it in the Cheap Eats edition of the magazine, we decided to go. We didn't have a reservation so we waited about an hour on a friday night to sit at their communal table. We were quite surprised by the menu prices as the majority of the cheap eats we've been to did not have $20+ entrees or $10+ cocktails, not that we thought the prices were outrageous but this place is simply not a cheap eat. Once we were seated the service began quite quickly, we both ordered a jacked sour cocktail and our food within 15 minutes. The food began to come out relatively quickly but we didn't actually get our drink until halfway through the meal. We ordered: -The Kale Salad, which was probably a little dry and lacked dressing, -The Calimari, which had an interesting combination of favors with the peanuts and green olives but by no means was spectacular -The asparagus, decent but not exciting -Scotch egg, my favorite dish, pretty delicious -The Mofango with duck confit, strange dish, flavors did not compliment each other well and in our opinion chef creativity gone wrong. The bill came to almost $90 for 2 people and should not be classified as a cheap eat. This restaurant definitely falls short of the praise it's been given by NY mag. My wife and I both left the restaurant disappointed.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More