All Reader Reviews of...
344 W. 11th St., New York, NY, 10014
at Washington St.
By mschmitt23 on 7/23/2007
I've dined at Wallse at least 10 times and each time was a terrific experience. The food is consistently excellent and authentic, and the staff is extremely courteous. My father is from Germany and is a stickler when it comes to american restaurants serving "german/austrian cuisine" and he loves both Wallse and Blaue Gans. Also, the cuisine at restaurants can tend to fall flat after its been around for a while - since many founding chefs go on to new endeavors to expand their culinary empire. 75% of the time I see Kurt Gutenbrunner at Wallse or Blaue Gans and I think that explains why the food has been consistently good over all these years. I've yet to have a meal here that wasn't simply delicious. Be sure to get the Nockerl for dessert!!!
Excellent food and service
By Keyes on 5/25/2009
Went to Wallse this weekend for the first time and had a phenomenal meal. We each devised our own 4 course tasting menu. Our waiter was spot-on; not too 'in your face' but very attentive. He took particular care to ask us if we wanted to slow the pace of dinner down; i.e. holding our menu orders from the kitchen so we could enjoy our cocktails, and our courses were evenly and leisurely paced, but not too slow. A highlight was their use of ramps (soups, garnish, veggie side) which I love. The proteins were all excellently cooked, sauces well seasoned and balanced and the menu choices seasonal and appropriate. Our waiter also chose some excellent wine pairings as well. The desserts were excellent. Of note was my quark panna cotta with vanilla rhubarb compote which the waiter paired with a lovely auslese. And to counter a previous poster, our waiter was very conscious of our comfort, he asked several times how the temperature was.
By Carlitony on 12/15/2010
The food was absolutely exquisite, the service was friendly and absolutely impeccable, the decor is very well thought out, the clientele was not loud (In NY this tends to be precious), yet very stylish and the bill was very reasonable. The most perfect restaurant experience i've had in a very long time. It was just "parfait", even a French man cannot pick on any small thing to criticize (and God knows how good we are at that). Just parfait! Definitely a 10 out of 10. PS: the NY Magazine rating makes no sense, someone from NYMag needs to eat there!
By selfmademan on 8/7/2011
the food and service is the finest, the halibut was excellent. very clean a polished place. we eat there at least 2x a week.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu