When you’re an established international star new to the city, it’s nice to have a guide, someone to give you a quick once-around on the ins and outs of this wonderful place. Thierry Henry, who made his debut for the Red Bulls last night, obviously did not have this person. This led to one happy accident, and one hilariously ugly one. On the good side, Henry, bless his heart, rode the PATH train to the game in Harrison last night with new Knick (and pal) Ronny Turiaf. This is awesome. Then there was his appearance on Good Day New York Monday morning. That was not so awesome.
As a general rule, morning-television hosts of America, when you are interviewing a soccer player, it is best to know:
1. Who won the World Cup that just ended.
2. That your guest played on perhaps the biggest international sports embarrassment of the last ten years and might be a little sensitive when you assume that embarrassment actually won that World Cup.
3. That your metropolitan area does, in fact, have a soccer team.
4. How to pronounce your guest’s name.
- Welcome to the Next COVID Wave
- Democrats Quietly Search for an Alternative to Biden in 2024
- Please Watch Kendall Jenner Try to Walk Up These Stairs
- Florence Pugh and Will Poulter Sure Seem Friendly
- Jason Momoa Apparently Pushed for Amber Heard to Keep Her Aquaman 2 Role