Updated July 2005
Broadway TheatersThe American Airlines Theater
The Roundabout Theatre Company produces shows here. Current production is The Constant Wife .
• 227 W 42nd St.; 212-719-9393; roundabouttheatre.org
Astor Place Theater
Where to catch the long-running Blue Man Group.
• 434 Lafayette St.; 212-254-4370; blueman.com Century Center Theater
Past shows include The Play about the Baby and The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged).
• 111 E 15th St.; 212-982-6782, ext. 11
The Cherry Lane Theatre
The theatre is home to workshops, readings, and mentoring programs for emerging playwrights. It’s a mix of Off-Broadway classics and provocative new works.
• 38 Commerce St.; 212-989-2020; cherrylanetheatre.comIrish Repertory Theater
Presents works by Irish and Irish-American writers. Call to reserve a spot as an usher.
• 132 W 22nd St.; 212-255-0270; irishrepertorytheatre.com The Joyce Theater
Hosts high-caliber dance companies from around the world. Call and leave a message on the usher hotline at least two weeks prior to a performance.
• 175 Eighth Ave.; 646-792-8355; joyce.org
Lucille Lortel Theater
This 50-year-old famous theater has a full calendar of performances and workshops. Check the website for specific details on its ushering program.
• 322 Eighth Ave., 21st Floor; 212-924-2817; lortel.org
Manhattan Theatre Club
Plays that start here frequently wind up on Broadway. The 2005-2006 season includes Rabbit Hole with Cynthia Nixon.
• City Center: W 55th St. (between Sixth and Seventh Aves.); 212-247-0430; mtc-nyc.org. New York Theatre Workshop (NYTW)
Notable for its innovative productions, NYTW was the original producer of the Broadway smash hit Rent.
• 79 E 4th St.; 212-780-9037; nytw.org Playwrights Horizons
Produces new plays and musicals each season, with past productions including I am My Own Wife and James Joyce’s The Dead. Don’t expect to get a spot as an usher on the week of a performance. Call well in advance.
• 416 W 42nd St.; 212-564-1235. playwrightshorizons.org
Second Stage Theatre
Contact the House manager by email at JSchleifer@SecondStageTheatre.com or call the usher hotline and leave a message with the dates of the performance you can work.
• 307 W 43rd St.; 212-787-8302, ext. 216; secondstagetheatre.com The Signature Theatre Company
Each season the Signature Theatre Company explores the works of a single living playwright. Pulitzer Prize winner Paula Vogel was the 2004-2005 Playwright-in-Residence. (Depending on the house manager, ushers might even be treated to free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate!)
• 555 W 42nd St.; 212-244-7529; signaturetheatre.org Julia Miles Theatre
Over the past twenty-five years, Women’s Project has strived to produce and develop the work of women writers.
• 424 W 55th St.; 22-76-1706; womensproject.org York Theatre Company
Stages musicals at St. Peter’s Church.
• 619 Lexington Ave.; 212-935-5824, ext. 15; yorktheatre.org