FishbowlNY writer Glynnis MacNicol did a cute thing where she e-mailed her prominent media friends and other people whose e-mail addresses she has and compiled a list of great books to give out to your friends this Christmas. For example, our fave Dan Abrams recommends Intel Editor Jessica’s husband’s best-selling book, The Billionaire’s Vinegar. Great taste, Maniel! Other insightful picks include:
• Ana Marie Cox: With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E. Grant
• Arianna Huffington: In Praise of Slowness by Carl Honore
• Jeffrey Toobin: Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
• Brian Williams: Isaac’s Storm by Eric Larson
• Salman Rushdie: Paintings in Proust by Eric Karpeles
• Jon Meacham: Nixonland by Rick Perlstein
All helpful and smart gift ideas! But our favorite recommendation by far is Oh the Glory of It All author Sean Wilsey’s. He picks In the Land of Right Angles by Daphne Beal. “No writer since the big boys of the Lost Generation has better captured the blundering innocence of Americans abroad,” he writes. “It’s the perfect way to kiss George Bush and hegemonic America goodbye!” Oh, Sean. Did you see what we did up at the top of the post? We disclosed it when we shamelessly tried to promote the book of one of our spouses. You should try it next time!