Much like there are pizza places and authentic New York pizza places, there are also bodegas and authentic New York bodegas. What differentiates the two? According to a rule we just made up, just now, as we were typing this out, an authentic bodega is home not only to decades-old cans of beans and tuna, but also to a bodega cat, which patrols the store for vermin and startles customers who almost step on it by accident all the time.
After years of being ignored, bodega cats are finally getting their due attention. They have their own Flickr page, one of them made an appearance in the first season of Louie, and now, they are the focus of a faux nature documentary, replete with British narration.
Things you buy through our links may earn New York a commission.
Most Viewed Stories
- Welcome to the Next COVID Wave
- Texas Officials Acknowledge Botched Police Response to School Shooting
- Buy Now. Pay (and Pay, and Pay, and Pay) Later.
- The Rise and Fall of Wall Street’s Most Controversial Investor
- Democrats Quietly Search for an Alternative to Biden in 2024