The Nigerian military says it has reached a cease-fire with the violent militant group Boko Haram and that the more than 200 young women kidnapped by the group earlier this year will be freed, the BBC reports. “They’ve assured us they have the girls and they will release them,” said an aide to President Goodluck Jonathan, who hopes to be reelected in early 2015. “I am cautiously optimistic.”
A spokesperson and self-proclaimed secretary general for Boko Haram confirmed to Voice of America Danladi Ahmadu that the girls will be released on Monday in Chad. Ahmadu said the kidnapping victims are “in good condition and unharmed.”
The Nigerian government would not reveal its concessions to the Islamist insurgents. “We are inching closer to release of all groups in captivity, including the Chibok girls,” said a government spokesperson. Fingers crossed.