The ‘Daily News’ Is Not an Extraordinary Conglomeration of Multi-Functional PersonnelIt’s no secret that enterprising Webtrepreneurs often buy Web addresses just a few characters away from popular ones, counting on typos to deliver you to their penis-enlargement pitches or AdSense agglomerations. But, as we discovered this morning, those seeking the Website for the New York Daily News, which is at www.nydailynews.com, should make especially sure to get the full address in. A sleepily typed www.nydaily.com took us not to our Hometown Paper but to 123 Escorts, which offers Kim (“Just arrived in town!”) and Evian (“Here for a short time!”) among its “extraordinary conglomeration of bright, amiable, multi-functional personnel.” It’s not that we think such things will offend News readers’ delicate sensibilities. We’re just concerned they won’t be able to handle the porn site’s vocabulary.
the morning line
Bring Me the Head of Raymond Kelly
• “I want his head chopped off” is normally a figure of speech. Not so for Rikers inmate David Brown Jr., who offered an undercover cop $15,000 to behead Commissioner Kelly and bomb the police HQ. All allegedly, of course. We don’t want the guy after us. [NYP]
• Rudy Giuliani, still incomprehensibly a “front-runner,” found himself in California defending new wife Judith from angry stepson Andrew. Just a short preview of what the primary season will look like. [NYDN]
• Immigrants protest squalid conditions in front of their freezing Lower East Side tenement: No, it’s not 1914. It’s 2007, and the new landlord’s angling to evict rent-stabilized tenants. [MetroNY]
• Your forecast for the day: 30 mph winds with a chill of nine degrees below zero. This is the rare time we’re actually proud of typing this at home. [amNY]
• And you know what the worst thing about kids’ vocabulary contests is? It’s seeing the newspaper ledes lunge for ten-dollar words (“Billy Dorminy was perspicuous, talking about poecilonyms”) as a “funny” exception to our usual writing level. Oh, and felicitations, Billy. [NYT]