1) Spend Monday enlightening yourself on the move. At the Labor Day Historical Walking Tour, you’ll weave through downtown learning about immigrant and labor history in NYC. Plus, it’s good exercise, in case you spent the rest of the weekend soaking up sun and booze. Which, let’s face it, you probably did.
2) But maybe you didn’t! Maybe you went to Birdland for their Charlie Parker Birthday Celebration, featuring the versatile Vincent Herring on alto sax.
3) Or you danced in the sunshine. Randalls Island has the synth-y beats of Electric Zoo all weekend; on Saturday and Sunday the Well celebrates five years of Captured Tracks with DIIV, Mac DeMarco, and more; Union Pool has Summer Thunder; PS1 has Warm Up on Saturday; and Fool’s Gold is throwing you an all-star, free shebang on Monday starring Danny Brown and A$AP Ferg. Make sure you RSVP for that one.
4) Or you watched other people dance. On Sunday the Brazilian Day Parade takes over 25 blocks beginning at 46th Street, while on Monday the West Indian American Day Carnival takes no prisoners in Brooklyn. Be sure to come hungry.
5) Maybe you watched folks exert themselves onscreen? This weekend BAM screens a kung fu series of Enter the Dragon and five Wing Chun classics.
6) Or you watched folks sweat in real life at one of these five events, including the old-timey baseball game on Governors Island or the U.S. Open in Flushing. Check out our write-up on where to find the best grub.
7) Maybe you showed off your spelling skills? On Monday the Williamsburg Spelling Bee tosses the big words around at Pete’s Candy Store.
8) Or you had Sean Donnelly, Damien Lemon, Kurt Metzger, and Ray Devito tell you jokes at the Stand. Don’t forget to try their cocktails. They go well with jokes.
9) Did you finally see that Turrell exhibit at the Guggenheim? Phew! Because there’s only one month left to catch it …
10) Or did you take a stroll in the park on Saturday or Sunday and pick up something for over your couch at the Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit?
11) But really, if all you did was soak up sun and booze, we wouldn’t judge you. It is, after all, the last weekend to take a dip in our outdoor public pools, including McCarren Park. Plan accordingly.