1. Saturday would have been John Lennon’s 70th birthday, so City Winery is throwing him a tribute bash with performances by Kimya Dawson, Freedy Johnston, and others. Also, because it’s a party, a special “Imagine Wine Flight” will accompany every set.
2. Get down at the Brooklyn Soul Festival, a two-day event curated by Eli “Paperboy” Reed and the team behind the music series Dig Deeper …
6. Hungry? The Food Network NYC Wine & Food Festival happens this weekend and includes events with your favorite Food Network stars including Alton Brown, Paula Deen, and Ted Allen.
7. Or check out unique spaces like cemeteries and satiate your curiosity about how the other half lives at Open House New York, the free architecture and design extravaganza spanning all five boroughs.
8. Kids and adults alike will revel in the three-day geekstravaganza of comix, manga, indies, sci-fi, fantasy, Japanese pop, web comics, superheroes, and giant robots that is New York Comic Con, with special guest Stan Lee and both John Romita Sr. and Jr.
9. And unless they’re afraid of hobbits, kids and adults will also enjoy The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, screening Friday and Saturday at Radio City Music Hall, with live musical accompaniment of Howard Shore’s Grammy-winning score.
11. … or get your face painted, check out a mini-circus, and sample a carefully curated list of beers (this is a holiday weekend, after all) at Oktoberfest on Governors Island on Saturday. Try vendor offerings from Red Hook Lobster Pound, Robecelli’s Cupcakes, and more, but be sure to get there early, as space is limited.