The Best Bet
Why? Fish are the ultimate low-maintenance pet. No walking in the rain, no brushing out hair, no litter-box changing. They’re also the only pet that doubles as home décor—especially if you order an aquarium from a custom shop like Williamsburg-based Aquatic Creations (718-302-9080 or aquaticcreationsinc.com), which will build, install, and maintain a tank in virtually any shape and size. In the $2,000, 26-gallon bow-tank model shown here, everything is alive, from the rocks and coral reef to the cardinal, angel, rabbit, box, and clown (yes, that’s Nemo) fish.
(1) Lined in nubuck, these handmade calfskin baby booties will coddle newborn feet like no others ($43 at Kendall’s Closet; 212-501-8911).
(2) Hang some real treasure on your tree with Michael Wainwright’s egg-shaped porcelain ornaments, which are painted with platinum or 22-karat gold and embellished with precious stones ($250–$425 at Barneys New York; 212-826-8900).
(3) Frankly Darling’s filmy chiffon dressing gown can go over a slip for more public outings (in five colors; $418 at Henri Bendel; 212-247-1100).
(4) Weighing in at just 760 grams (or 26.83 ounces), Easton’s new Synergy hockey skate is the lightest on the market ($549; eastonhockey.com for dealers).
(5) Previously only available in airport duty-free shops, Johnny Walker Green Label (a fifteen-year-old malt-whiskey blend) is now in liquor stores citywide ($50; discovergreenlabel.com for more info).
(6) With one half swiveled to face the other, Les Migrateurs’s velvet Confident sofa (by Paris-based furniture designer Cherif) encourages friendly chat ($4,500 at Les Migrateurs; 212-966-8208 or lesmigrateurs.com).