Watching TV and ordering in won’t help you recover from that lingering New Year’s hangover, but it’s not too late to make a resolution to get into shape. If you’ve never taken a yoga class, give the rediscovered seventies craze a try; if you’re already in on the secret, maybe you need a little motivation. Either way, here’s a can’t-miss deal: The following yoga centers are giving New York readers one free class between now and February 28 (note that several require reservations – mention “Sales & Bargains” when booking). Sign up according to your ability, and surrender this page when you arrive. Happy stretching …(Note: Bring only the S&B page from the MAGAZINE; print-outs of this web page will NOT be honored.)
* Soho Sanctuary teaches three kinds of yoga (Hatha is the least taxing, Vinyasa the most) and is also a full-service spa with lots of all-natural treatments. A eucalyptus-scented steam bath is free for anyone who takes a class. The “S&B” deal is not valid for the 6 and 7:15 p.m. classes Tuesday through Friday. Call to reserve. 119 Mercer St. (212-334-5550).
* Jivamukti Yoga Center has a trademarked style that’s sweaty, calorie-consuming, and rumored to be addictive (to celebrities like Elizabeth Berkley and Sting as well as regular humans). A post-workout massage may be in order ($75 for an hour). (This offer is good only on weekdays before 5 p.m. or after 7:30 p.m.) Call to reserve. 404 Lafayette St. (212-353-0214).
* Integral Yoga Institute pushes a total yoga lifestyle: The larger, West Village branch has a whopping seven studios (classes teach proper breathing and postures), a vegetarian food shop, and stress management workshops. The “S&B” deal is for new students only. No reservations. 227 W. 13th St. (212-929-0586); 200 W. 72nd St. (212-721-4000).
* Om Yoga Center teaches vigorous, flowing Vinyasa-style yoga in two bright, homey studios. The center is cozy, attitude-free, and good for all levels. No need to reserve; just come fifteen minutes before the class starts. 135 W. 14th St., second floor (212-229-0267).
* Bikram Yoga College of India increases strength and stamina. The studio is kept very warm to promote flexibility (you’ll learn to hold certain postures for a full minute). If you like it here, you’re in luck – the second class is always free. No reservations; arrive fifteen minutes early. 797 Eighth Ave., near 48th St., fourth floor (212-245-2525).
* Yoga Zone brought yoga to the masses with a TV show, videos, and a product catalogue – but the two Manhattan studios still teach posture-based Hatha. This offer’s not good Monday through Thursday 5:45 to 8 p.m. or Saturdays 10:30 a.m. to noon. No reservations. 138 Fifth Ave., near 18th St. (212-647-yoga); 160 E. 56th St. (212-935-yoga).
Picks of the Week
The Stork Club is shaving 20 to 50 percent off prices on all kids’ clothes and vintage toys. Designers include funky favorites like Suss Design and Wowo as well as the shop’s own label. Prices on all clothes are from $8 to $85. On Sundays during the sale, there will be activities
for young shoppers. Sizes 0-6. 142 Sullivan St. (212-505-1927); A.E., M.C., V.; Mon.-Sat. 11-7:30, Sun. noon-6; 1/14-2/1.
Mason’s Tennis Mart’s sale has tennis clothes for men, women, and children, all marked down by half. Makers include Fila, Wilson, Ellesse, and Quantum. Adult clothing prices are mostly $30-$125. 56 E. 53rd St. (212-755-5805); A.E., M.C., V.; Mon.-Fri. 9:30-6:30, Sat. 10-5; 1/10-2/10.
Kokopelli is taking half off all its chic, southwestern jewelry (silver, gold, and semiprecious-stone-encrusted). A 50-strand silver necklace is $50, a gold and red coral bracelet (pictured) is $688, a gold
and diamond ring is $3,200. 120 Thompson St. (212-925-4411); A.E., M.C., V.; Mon.-Sun. 11-8; 1/10-1/16.
Jill Stuart is filling the basement of her shop with leftover fall and winter stock and clearing it all out. You’ll find hip girlie knits, separates, and party clothes (pictured) – all for at least 60 percent off regular prices. Wool felt coats are $220; chunky cashmere sweaters are $280; A-line skirts, tops, and dresses are $80-$175. 100 Greene St. (212-343-2300); A.E., M.C., V.; Mon.-Sat. 11-7, Sun. noon-6; 1/10-1/21.